I'm a sucker for lemon desserts. Tart and sweet is kind of like chocolate and salty--you can just keep eating its perfection forever. (OK, that's not necessarily a good thing.)
I came across the recipe this morning on VocalPoint and something in it just screamed, "Make me, Jessie!" I knew all I would need was lemons, so I listened the voice. I am bringing dinner to my Bible-study group tomorrow night and thought it would make a perfect sweet ending. As a somewhat wise cook, however, I also knew I'd better test it before I took a new recipe to a bunch of people I'm just getting to know. Wouldn't want to poison anyone.
This dessert is like a sponge cake on top and a custard on the bottom. Mmmmm. It'd be even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top to balance out the tart lemon. Maybe I'll pick up a pint for tomorrow night. (If you're interested, I'll also be serving Jo-Lynne's beef enchiladas and Mexican Corn Dip AKA Magically Delicious Dip according to Amanda.)
I modified the recipe to fit with my whole-foods-hopeful lifestyle. If you use white flour and white sugar, it will probably be a much lighter color.
De-Luscious Lemon Cake
3/4 cup sucanat or turbinado sugar
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs, separated--let the whites warm to room temperature while you prepare the rest of the recipe
3 T butter, very soft
1 tsp lemon zest (from about 1 lemon--zest before you juice)
3/4 cup lemon juice (from about 3 lemons. Meyer lemons are actually cheaper than regular ones right now, and very flavorful!)
1 1/2 cups milk
Heat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8x8 pan with cooking spray (or butter it, if you're anti-Pam).
In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks about 1 minute. Stir in butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk. Add sugar mixture and stir together well.
Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks appear. Add contents of other bowl and mix on medium for a minute or until the batter is smooth.
Pour batter into your prepared pan. Place that pan in a larger dish (like a lasagna pan or roaster) and fill with hot water to about 1 inch up the sides of your cake pan.
Cook for 40-50 minutes or until top is brown and starting to crackle. Serve warm or chilled, preferably with ice cream!
Linked up to Tasty Tuesday & Lemon Recipes at The Happy Housewife.
----
Subscribe to the RSS feed or by e-mail.
Twitter much? I'm vanderbiltwife there, too.
Join my Facebook Fan Group
A few of my favorite things on my Tumblr page
I love lemon! Can't wait to give this a try :)
ReplyDeleteMmmm. Lemon is one of my favorite flavors. And you were right! That's a great photo.
ReplyDeletegorgeous photo, sweetie! and lemon desserts are great. (if there isn't anything chocolate around!)
ReplyDeleteYUM.
ReplyDeleteI like the way you just read something, make it and it turns out beautifully!
Yum - wish I was heading to your Bible study group tomorrow night!
ReplyDeleteGreat spring recipe!
ReplyDeleteI did not trust the recipe and thought it needed more flour. It still turned out scrumptious but not as puddingy as it should have been. Next time I will trust the recipe and there WILL be a next time.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds delish!
ReplyDelete