Well, I am 1000 times happier than I was the other day. Probably because I didn't have to work today and I had 14 hours of sleep last night. I was actually going to blog last night but at 7 I got so insanely tired I couldn't fathom doing anything.
I was really proud of myself because I actually cooked a complete meal for the first time in, oh, 5 weeks? Mr. V loves Thai sweet chili sauce, and so when I asked him what to do with pork chops, that was his suggestion. So I brushed them with the chili sauce, coated them with bread crumbs and garlic powder, and baked them. I also made Mustardy Mustard Greens and whole-wheat couscous. I'd forgotten how much I love couscous. It is so so easy to make and tastes good with everything!
Here's the recipe for the Mustard Greens (it's from Rachael's Ray "Get Real Meals" cookbook). Of course, I just type as I remember it because I'm too lazy to go get the cookbook. I omitted the bacon last night and it didn't taste quite right, so I'd leave that in!
Mustardy Mustard Greens
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 T oil
1/2 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3-4 cups chopped mustard greens (2 bunches--make sure to soak well and get all the grit out)
1/4 c yellow mustard
1/4 c cider vinegar
salt and pepper
1/2 c chicken broth
Fry the bacon in oil until done, remove pieces with a slotted spoon to a separate plate. In the oil, saute onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add mustard greens, mustard, and vinegar. Toss well. When it's wilted some, salt and pepper it lightly. Add the chicken stock; bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium and cook 10-12 minutes or until the greens have lost their bitterness (TEST!). If the stock all boils off, you can add more. Sprinkle with the bacon and serve.
Today has been wonderful. The weather outside is lovely. Chester and I went to Kroger to get my prescription filled and to pick up salad fixings for Sunday, then to the dog park. He had a big old time. I gave him a bath once we got home and worked a little on a freelance project.
If you are a dog person, please go over to The Pioneer Woman and check out the dog posts. They made me laugh a lot today. Dogs are so goofy. Also, I'm dying to make the carrot cake she posted at The Pioneer Woman Cooks. But Mr. V doesn't eat carrot cake. Anyone want to come share it with me? I think I'm reaching the starving part of pregnancy!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting! I look forward to reading your comments.