Monday, April 23, 2007

Friends and THE Friend

I changed my screensaver at work to do a random slideshow of the pictures on my computer. And now I don't want to work because I just want to watch the pictures go by. Most of them of are my family, and old, dear friends.


For some reason I have been very melancholy lately. I miss my mom, dad, and sister. In some ways I am dying to move to PA to be near them. I don't know if it's because we've been thinking more seriously lately about having a baby or what. I am just longing for family, for friends who know me better than I know myself.

After three years in Nashville, I still don't feel like I have a heart-friend. I have some wonderful Christian girlfriends whom I adore, but not one that I feel like I could call in the middle of the night if I were terribly sick or something. Not one who I could call just because. I have one friend who I would consider those things maybe, but she lives a bit away and has a 2 year old, so our relationship is hard to maintain!

The whole time we've been here I've prayer for such a heart-friend. And now here I am realizing that maybe I don't have one because I'm holding on too hard to the old? Not that I'm planning on giving up on old friends, but maybe I need to let the nostalgia go a little. Make room for some new attachments.

A good part of this is that I have been clinging to Jesus lately in this melancholy. He is my only constant. I know He knows the pains of loneliness, of separation from His closest relative. Since I started teaching No Other Gods, my relationship with Him has changed tremendously for the better. I am so blessed to be able to work on Bible studies for a living--and be able to teach them before they even come out! And the girls from my study have become true friends. I can just hope we will continue to share our lives together. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. Might want to moderate your comments.

    Anyway, I sympathize. I keep having to tell myself not to just dream about making visits to Europe or to places where my college friends live. I mean, I do want to visit, but I don't want to ignore where I am now.

    I think one of the hardest things is to trust in God's generosity: relationships are not based on an economy of scarcity (i.e., you've made a couple of good friends, so you've reached your limit!), but of abundance. I have to be willing to share myself knowing that sharing myself here doesn't mean that I close myself off from my old friends.

    But I hate having to make new friends. Div school is like high school all over again. The cliques, the rivalries, the cool kids and nerdy kids, the perpetual gossip. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I look forward to reading your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails