To make a long story short, I was going through our two tons of music on iTunes tonight, trying to clean up duplicates and such. I downloaded a whole lot of music freshman year on college when it wasn't so illegal, or at least I didn't know it was. And so I have some duplicates from this, most of which have the artist name in the title space...and so on. Anyway I just came upon "You Are My Home" from the Scarlet Pimpernel towards the end of the list. And seriously I started crying!

Freshman year I became friends with one of two people I truly consider heart-friends, someone who understands me almost completely. No matter how long Michelle and I go without talking, I still feel like we are connected in a way. Freshman year at UR, we spent copious amounts of time introducing each other to our favorite songs from musicals--and singing them together. I usually got to be the girl. :)
Our personal favorite to sing is "Light My Candle" from RENT; but this song from the Scarlet Pimpernel she introduced to me when we were both going through unrequited love situations. We had a joke that she and her boy would sing it at me and my boy's wedding--and then she would sing "Bring on the Men" from the same musical at the reception. We thought this was hysterical to the point that she wrote it on a post-it note and stuck it on my computer, and I had to remember to take it off when said boy might come over!
Michelle and a friend from high school are probably the only people outside of my immediate family I have really been completely vulnerable with, and I guess that is why I treasure those friendships so much. The memories are so sweet...although sometimes, like now, they kind of hurt, too, because it still pains me I don't have that kind of friend in Nashville. I don't think it's so much that I haven't allowed myself to be vulnerable as it is that I just haven't spent that kind of time with anyone except my husband since I graduated school. I think that's how it is with a lot of people, but I know there are women who develop these sweet friendships post-college.
Love you, Shelley!
Hello, I have seen you post at a few blogs I read and so I decided to check yours.
ReplyDeleteI live in Mt. Juliet, just east of Nashville.
Just thought I would say hi :)
This post really resonates with me... I feel the same way. I had really really close friends in HS and college, but I feel like I haven't made friends of quite that sort post-college. Of course I have Jim, but it's not quite the same thing, you know? At least we can still keep in touch with old friends via email, IM, etc...
ReplyDelete